Alexander Luis Newby
#107 Sunshine Sakura Park, Sunoshi-cho 1-15,
Mizunami-shi, Gifu-ken, 509-6127
Head ESL Teacher
• B.B.A. Degree • CELTA • Fluent English
A highly organized and reliable teacher. Skilled at prioritizing and multitasking. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Over 6 years experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
Native English Section Manager, ESL School, Kasugai, Japan
Feb 08 - Present
- • Team taught classes with a Japanese teacher, with ages ranging from kindergarten to adult.
- • Revised yearly K to grade 6 curriculum, which increased student enrollment and retention.
- • Standardized lessons with lesson plan templates and branded activity sheets.
- • Authored DVD media, textbooks, and storybook readers.
- • Recruited, trained, and provided support for Native English teachers.
ESL Instructor, Nova Group, Multimedia Center, Osaka, Japan
Sep 06 - Nov 07
- • Instructed 40 minute lessons by video conference in a call-center environment.
ESL Instructor, Eurocentres, Vancouver, Canada
Jun 06 - Aug 06
- • Instructed general English, business English & TOEIC, and fluency classes.
Research Assistant, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada
Sep 03 - Apr 04
- • Created a database for internal planning and published webpages.
IATA Training and Development Institute, Montreal, Canada
Jul 08 - Apr 12
- • IATA Air Cargo Diploma
Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association, Toronto, Canada
Sep 10 - Apr 11
- • Certificate in International Freight Forwarding (Passed with honours)
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada
May 02 - Dec 05
- • 4-year Bachelor of Business Administration joint-major with Latin American Studies (3.36 GPA)
- • Exchange program at the Tec de Monterrey, Mazatlan and Mexico City, for 2 semesters.
Sir Sandford Fleming College, Peterborough, Canada
May 00 - May 02
- • 3-year International Trade Diploma (Dean's List - 5 semesters)
- • Exchange program at the Universidad del Valle de Mexico, Queretaro for 1 semester.
- • Fluent English, Cambridge ESOL, Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
- • Business Spanish, Simon Fraser University, Certificate in Spanish Language Proficiency
- • Conversational Japanese, Japanese Language Proficiency Test, JLPT N4
- • Type 60 wpm using Windows and Macintosh computers.
- • Proficient with Microsoft Office, database software, and graphics editing programs.